Friday, May 13, 2011

The Fruits of our Labor

As we finish up week four of our Fat2Fit program, I am compelled to reflect on what we've accomplished during this first month. And it's been a lot! My daughter was the biggest loser this week with a FIVE pound weight loss. I am so proud of her. My pride is not just from her amazing loss this week, but it's from the fact that she is beginning to think about what she eats and to recognize the difference between boredom and hunger. But wait ... I'm getting ahead of myself!

This week saw an enormous loss in my daughter's weight - five pounds for a loss of eight pounds this month! My husband lost another pound, making a total loss of nearly nine pounds. Me, not as good. That said, I am losing inches. My clothes are all bordering on baggy. I can't put my hands in the pockets of my black pants because if I do, they start to fall down. My "big pond" jeans are seriously saggy. Even my shirts have some extra fabric. It feels good. I don't care if the scales don't reflect my efforts because my clothes do.

The biggest accomplishment of this first month deals with lifestyle changes. It's almost unfathomable to think that I haven't touched even a kernel of chocolate caramel popcorn for an entire month. It's wonderful looking inside the fridge, freezer, and pantry. Not only is there room in all three, but the choices of foods are completely different to what the offerings were a month ago. Open my fridge today and you'll find organic strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. You'll also find glass bottles filled with water that we use at dinner. I'll post pics of them this weekend, but they've become a wonderful addition to our meals. There are tubs of non-fat Greek yogurt and a crisper filled with fresh organic vegetables. It's beautiful! The freezer is equally stunning. Nearly all of the meat is gone. The only things left are frozen vegetables and some fake meat items. It's the most empty it's EVER been! Look inside the pantry and find granola, trail mix, and nuts. There isn't a single untouchable. This is a first. And most importantly, nobody is complaining! Not a single whine begging me to get "good" food; no cries for some "real" snacks. Everybody is happy.

Perhaps the best achievement this first month is that people are conscious of when and what they're eating. The highlight of this first month happened this afternoon when my daughter told me she didn't want something to eat because she wasn't hungry. In the past, she'd have eaten it regardless of hunger. Not anymore. She's thinking about her food choices, too. She ate fast food twice this month. She contemplated what she wanted both times and threw away food when she was full. This was inconceivable a month ago. She'd always been a "Clean Plate Club" member. Not anymore. There are lots of things that don't happen anymore. That's a good thing!

I'm proud of my family for adapting so easily to the changes. I'm confident that we'll continue to be great losers as we move into our second month.

No comments:

Post a Comment