Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Man v. Food or Food v. Man?

My daughter watches much less television now that we've begun our "Fat2Fit" program. However, she still has some shows that she absolutely MUST watch. You're probably thinking the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon, but nope, they're food shows. Her favorite is Man v. Food, a program with the primary goal of eating enormous amounts of food in a limited amount of time. Now don't get me wrong, I think Adam Richman seems like a perfectly great guy. However, the premise of the program is seriously disturbing. Take a look!


This show repulses me on so many levels. Most importantly, I find it incredibly disturbing that my daughter thinks Adam Richman is a hero. How can I teach her about healthy food choices when someone she idolizes consumes this Emmenecker sandwich? We're talking a 12" wide deep-fried pork tenderloin, 2 Buffalo chicken tenders, an angus steak cheeseburger, Applewood smoked bacon, a slab of Texas beef brisket, 2 fried cheddar cheese cubes all smothered in white cheddar sauce topped with a spicy pickle and served with a pound of waffle fries. Did you get all that?! On ONE sandwich! Oh - and he has 15 minutes to chow down the entire combo. I don't know about you, but my question is WHY. Why would somebody eat something like this and why does anybody want to watch another person consume it? My next question is WHAT. What do shows like this teach us about food? Is food a sporting event? If you've ever watched the show, you'll know there are observers cheering Adam on to his success.

I don't know. Call me a spoilsport, but I just don't think television that glamorizes overconsumption of unhealthy foods is a good thing. Obesity is such a prevalent problem in our country that I think there should be more shows promoting healthy eating. It may not be as sexy or fun, but at least its host might live a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment