Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Year Goes Fast When You're Feeling Good

Mother's Day brings great joy to my life. No, I'm not going to get all schmaltzy about being a mom, though I do indeed enjoy that role. Nope, Mother's Day marks my first anniversary of being gluten free. It's hard to believe that it's been nearly a year since my decision to eliminate gluten from my diet. I mean, it's become totally natural for me, and I'm never tempted to return to my previous life of chronic stomach pain, embarrassing tummy rumbles, and other problems. Getting rid of gluten seriously changed my life.

How did I discover my gluten intolerance? It's a long story that all boils down to my being a cheapskate and deathly afraid of medical tests. I was still seeing a regular physician this time last year. I told her of my issues, and she set me up for an ultrasound of my gallbladder. I went home and did some research on gallbladder problems. Hmmm ... my problems didn't really match up with what I was reading. But alas, I went to the hospital for the ultrasound. Now, this is where you catch a true glimpse of my nature. So, I'm registering for the test when the clerk informs me that I hadn't met my deductible for this type of procedure. Naturally, my first question was, "How much will it cost?" Get out the smelling salts, folks. "It should be around $675," she said. I didn't faint. Instead, I said, "Thank you very much, but I think I'll pass." I high-tailed it out of that front door and headed back home to do some more research.

During my initial investigation on gallbladder problems, I came across information on celiac disease, gluten intolerance, and IBS. I began reading more on these topics. Initially, I suspected IBS, but after reading more about it, I decided that this was not my problem. I then studied celiac disease and immediately felt like I'd found the winner. As I ran down the checklist of symptoms, I had no doubt that my problem was with gluten.

I immediately eliminated all gluten from my diet. I mean - ALL gluten. In fact, I was so paranoid and unskilled at identifying gluten that I pretty much got rid of everything except fruits, vegetables, and meat. Okay, I won't lie or dress it up - the first two days were ugly. I was detoxing. My head hurt, I was a mega-bitch, and my stomach felt like someone had sucker punched me. But on the third day ... on that third day, I felt great. No pain, no tummy issues, nada ... nothing! I have never looked back. I will never go back. I don't care how tempting that slice of pizza might smell or how beautiful that slice of cake - nope, no way, not eating it.

I was never officially diagnosed with the disease, but I don't care. I know that I feel better as a result of eliminating gluten from my diet. When I asked my physician if I could be tested, she informed me that I would have to eat gluten again for a month. I responded with gales of laughter. Nope. I'm fine without a diagnosis. I'm content in not knowing. I don't need a medical diagnosis to recognize my body's inability to absorb gluten. Do I recommend self-diagnosis? No, but this was the first time in decades that I had actually felt good, and I wasn't about to go back. However, I am concerned for my daughter who already displays similar problems to mine. Celiac is an inherited disease, so I will have my daughter tested.

What about you? According to the Celiac Disease Foundation (2011), 97% of us go undiagnosed!  "Celiac Disease is one of the most common genetic conditions in the world. Celiac is a multi-symptom, multi-system disorder, activated by eating gluten - proteins found in wheat, rye and barley. Symptoms vary and are not always gastrointestinal," (Celiac Disease Foundation, 2011). Here is a listing of symptoms from the Celiac Disease Foundation website - http://www.celiac.org/

CLASSIC SYMPTOMS MAY INCLUDE
•Abdominal cramping, intestinal gas
•Distention and bloating of the stomach
•Chronic diarrhea or constipation (or both)
•Steatorrhea – fatty stools
•Anemia – unexplained, due to folic acid, B12 or iron deficiency (or all)
•Unexplained weight loss with large appetite or weight gain
OTHER SYMPTOMS
•Dental enamel defects
•Osteopenia, osteoporosis
•Bone or joint pain
•Fatigue, weakness and lack of energy
•Infertility – male/female
•Depression
•Mouth ulcers
•Delayed puberty
•Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
•Migraine headaches
SOME LONG-TERM CONDITIONS THAT CAN RESULT FROM UNTREATED CD
•Iron deficiency anemia
•Early onset osteoporosis or osteopenia
•Vitamin K deficiency associated with risk for hemorrhaging
•Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
•Central and peripheral nervous system disorders - usually due to unsuspected nutrient deficiencies
•Pancreatic insufficiency
•Intestinal lymphomas and other GI cancers (malignancies)
•Gall bladder malfunction
•Neurological manifestations

I strongly encourage you to contact your physician or medical provider if you suffer from an array of these symptoms. I assure you, once you see what life is like without stomach pain, you'll have no problem giving up gluten.


Celiac Disease Foundation: http://www.celiac.org/
Living Gluten and Grain Free Blog: http://ourplacelivingglutenfree.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Did you go to the Gluten Free Expo in Charlotte last weekend??? It was fabulous. If you didn't get a chance to go I highly recommend it for next year if you get a chance. Lots of great products available and it was nice to sample with out buying to see if it is something I would like without spending a fortune. Whole Foods opens in Charlotte soon and they had some of the best GF bread at the expo!

    ReplyDelete