Saturday, May 14, 2011

Stumbling Our Way to the Finish Line

Our second month has brought about some new challenges. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever find that dietary happy place. You know the one where meal planning is easy because everybody likes everything you cook? Is there such a place?! Well, for me, my stumbling block has to do with hunger. You're not going to believe it because it's not what you think. My hunger problem is that I'm NOT hungry. Okay, okay, stop throwing things at me. I used to long for this problem. However, now that I'm here, it's kind of an issue. I need to take oodles of supplements - all of which require food. Also, as many of us know, our bodies require food in order to maintain or increase metabolism. Without food, our bodies go into starvation mode and basically stop burning fat. So, my lack of hunger is a bit of a problem.

I don't know if it's because nothing seems to taste good anymore, or my food options have been drastically reduced. Truth be told, I don't think it's either. My hunch is that it's because I'm eating good food that isn't laden with chemicals. I remember how stunned I was when I first eliminated gluten from my diet. I couldn't believe how un-hungry I was. I could go all day without eating. Now that I've gotten rid of the majority of sugar from my diet, I'm having the same reaction. Is this a bad thing? I don't think so, but I'm still struggling to eat in the morning. Actually, I'm not hungry until late afternoon.

What's the solution to my problem? I'm still working on that one. I know it sounds crazy, but I find it difficult to eat when I'm not hungry. This is such a stark contrast to where I've been. I mean, there were times when I'd consumed an entire bag of chocolate toffee popcorn without realizing it was empty until my hand hit the bottom. So being at this point in my dietary life is pretty remarkable. I'm not willing to start mindless eating again. Instead, I think I'll make a list of foods that I really enjoy. Maybe I'll start there. Any ideas are definitely welcome. In the meantime, I'm rejoicing in my newfound freedom from food. It's kind of wild not to be thinking about it all the time. I know it's a good thing. I really do. Now, I just need to tweak it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment