Friday, May 20, 2011

When the Walls Come Tumblin' Down

This has not been a good week for us. I laid in bed this morning trying to come up with a clever way of saying it, but in the end, I decided to announce it as such: This week sucked!

I started our fifth week with a head full of allergies. Eventually, my sinuses wanted in on the game, so I ended up dizzy in bed for nearly two days. Unlike many folks, I don't do the relax thing very well. I was going nuts. However, I was so sick that I ended up sleeping more those two days than I have in the longest time. I'm a big believer in listening to my body's signals, and this time, they weren't whispering ... they were screeching! As a result of being dizzy and full of allergies, I wasn't hungry. I mean, I had been having problems with my appetite before that time, but now, it was full-force no hunger. My one saving grace was a box of Edy's strawberry bars. Now those ... those tasted divine. They were the ONLY things I could handle. Unfortunately though, while I was slurping down strawberry bars, the rest of my team was chowing on pizza, Chinese food - you name it! All hell broke loose in the kitchen.

Fast forward to mid-week. I was still a little wobbly and felt as if I had consumed several glasses of not-so-good Cabernet. However, I managed to go out and about to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. I had planned on having a salmon salad, but you know what sounded good to me? Beef. I just couldn't help it. I wanted the hamburger sans bun with asparagus and mashed potatoes. O.M.G.!!!! It was the best food I'd had in a REALLY long time. I'll confess here, but will deny it elsewhere - I actually moaned a little as forkful after forkful of this little piece o' heaven hit my tastebuds. I was still a little dizzy, but I was alive again!

Now it's Friday, and I'm coming to terms with the fact that this week was a bust. Yesterday was a disaster! We not only ate out at lunch, but my daughter and I met friends for dinner at Showmars and then retreated to Red Mango for dessert. It was a full-fledge eating revolution! The upside to all of this eating is that it's pretty obvious that I've regained my appetite! I've also learned that our eating habits fall apart when we're not all on the same page. I had convinced myself that our new food and exercise routines had started to become second nature to us. Apparently, they haven't. It's really shown me how easily five weeks of work can unravel. But wait - don't think I'm discouraged or upset. I look at this week as an assessment of how we're really doing. I don't take the findings personally. Instead, I now recognize areas of our new lifestyle that need to be tweaked and refined. Today begins a new week. We may not be much slimmer than last week, but we're definitely a lot wiser.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a month since your last update - hoping to hear from you soon here in the blogosphere! Hope things are going well for you and your fam!

    Chance

    ReplyDelete