Sunday, April 17, 2011

Our First "Fit" Sunday Dinner

As Day Three comes to an end, I am amazed at how motivated everyone continues to be. Nobody is straying too drastically from the food plan, and everybody seems truly excited to stay on target. We didn't need a lunch because we'd had a pretty hefty breakfast. I was surprised that there weren't pleas for additional snacks beyond the planned one. Plus, dinner ended up being served at the usual 6 pm time, yet there were no complaints or raiding of the pantry. Of course, I suppose that's because there isn't anything too tempting in the pantry! Food is sort of like Field of Dreams. If it's there, they will come. If it's not ... well ...

Just like Sunday breakfast, Sunday dinner is pretty much a traditional meal for us that consists of roasted chicken and mashed potatoes. I didn't deviate much from our usual menu. However, this time, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and instead of oil, I cooked them with organic chicken broth. I added some salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, and fresh rosemary. The result was a succulent chicken dinner completed with some mashed potatoes and steamed organic carrots. My daughter was thrilled to have her favorite mashed potatoes, and I was pleased that the chicken turned out so beautifully. The highlight of the day occurred during dinner. While we were chowing down on organic braeburn apples and a dash of Trader Joe's caramel sauce, my daughter exclaimed, "I'll take apples and caramel sauce ANY day over ice cream!" Success!

I wish I could claim success when it comes to exercise. This has always been an area of most resistance for us. Sure, my husband will work out on the treadmill several days a week, but other than that, we're all pretty inactive. Sadly, today has been no different. I plan to make our work-out plan a priority next week. This is something that we need to embrace as readily as we did the new menus. If you have any suggestions on how to adhere to an exercise schedule, I'm all ears. I'm eager to learn ways to make exercise as valuable as healthy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment