Thursday, April 28, 2011

We're All Aboard the Crazy Train

Song of the Day: Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne

Ozzy couldn't have said it better. We are definitely all on a crazy train here. It's been one of those weeks. You know what I'm talking about, I know you do. You have plans for the week, you know exactly what you're doing, and then ... BAM! Life's pretty plan gets thrown out of whack. Well, that's been my week. And here it is Thursday, a day before our second week's weigh-in, and the plan is still changing. When making our list of meals, I'd totally forgotten that I'm meeting friends for dinner. It's a monthly dinner date, and I'm excited to see them. But then again, I weigh-in tomorrow. Such a dilemma. How can I eat smart but still have a good time with my pals? Can I trust myself not to go crazy?

Dining out can be a challenge for anyone with special dietary needs. Trust me, even when I'm not trying to control portion sizes and calorie content, I struggle with eating out because of my gluten issues. There's always a fear of cross-contamination, and then there's the lack of options. C'mon, those of us with allergies and special needs know what it's like to place an order. You feel like Sally in Harry Met Sally. It's never easy.

What strategies can I use to make tonight's dinner part of my "fat2fit" diet? The first thing I'm going to do is look at the menu before I go. Nearly every chain restaurant has their menu available on-line. Even better, most also include nutrition information. Unfortunately though, the restaurant we're meeting at doesn't have nutrition info. Instead, they indicate what foods are "healthier." Let's take a look - http://www.showmars.com/menu/SHOW_menu_3_08_r2_sm-p2.pdf  Hmmm ... what do I want for dinner tonight? It looks like the "healthier" options all involve chicken. Figures! Now, I have to decide what kind of chicken do I want? Will I feel full if I get the grilled chicken salad? Probably not. I wish I was one of these people who can survive on salad, but alas, I need something more substantial. Instead, I think I will opt for the Grilled Chicken Pita sans pita bread. This will give me a grilled chicken breast with lettuce and tomato on the side. Although I'd love it, I'm going to pass on the tzatziki sauce. I'll make it a combo with a baked potato with light sour cream that I'll bring with me. Of course, no butter, but then again, I don't like butter on my potatoes! Because I don't drink soft drinks, I'll get an unsweetened iced tea. There, I'm dining out without going crazy. What do you think? Sound like a good "fat2fit" menu? I'm going to have a night out with my friends, but I'm also going to stay on track to healthy eating. What about you? How do you eat out but not board that crazy train? I'd love to hear your tips and secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment