Friday, April 15, 2011

The Day of Reckoning

We have all weighed-in, taken measurements, and photos have been snapped. It's official. We're embarking on the road to fitness. I have to tell you though - it's gonna be one helluva long journey! My first thought after weighing in was of The Smiths' Some Girls are Bigger than Others. Sadly, I'm in the "some" category! I think it's totally unfair how quickly weight goes on and how slowly it comes off. That's just not right.

 In addition to weighing in and all of the other paperwork we did this morning, I had everyone set short-term goals. Sure, our first big goal is to lose 20% of our body weight, but I think it's important to have shorter, more achievable goals. My short-term goal is to adhere to our exercise plan. My husband's goal is to run on the treadmill five times before our next Friday weigh-in. My daughter's goal is to fit into the snug-fitting jeans in her closet.

Breakfast was a delicious mix of Trader Joe's non-fat Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of Pure Bliss Organics granola. Have you seen how many grams of protein are in a little cup of Greek yogurt?! 22 grams!! And it's only 120 calories! If you haven't tried Pure Bliss Organics granola - do! It's the BEST granola I've tasted since the homemade granola at the Scholars Inn Bakehouse in Bloomington IN. My PBO favorite flavor is Captain Cranberry. Sure, it's a little higher in fat than some of their others, but it's made with cane juice and it's gluten free. It's also chockful of cashews and cranberries. It's delicious. Be sure to check out their website for other varities. They also make a totally free granola - no sugars, no oil. Check 'em out!

I'm still working on our "fat2fit" menu for next week. However, I've chosen meals for the next two days. We're going to have grilled salmon for dinner tonight along with some fresh organic carrots that we received from Absolute Organics yesterday. I'm going to make chicken and steak kabobs for dinner tomorrow. The beef is from a fab co-op called Go Local NC Farms. All of the beef is grass-fed and locally raised. It's great buying and eating local foods. I encourage you to look for farm co-ops or farms near you. The taste difference is amazing. Plus, it's so much better for the local economy and the environment.

Well ... the day has begun. Yogurt and tea have been consumed. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment