Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Got water?

My focus so far on this journey has been all about food. Well, that's great, but I realized this morning that I'm missing a vital component to a healthy lifestyle. Water. How much water do you consume in a day? If you're like I used to be, you're grasping for those rare moments when you've asked for a glass of water instead of another beverage. Water is an important component to our whole physical well-being. According to the Mayo Clinic, our body is composed of approximately 60% water, and every organ and system in our body relies on water for either flushing out toxins or for carrying nutrients to cells (2010). Wow! Our bodies are like plants; we need to water ourselves.

How much water do we need? In doing some research on the subject, it appears that this is a question for much debate. The Mayo Clinic mentions the standard 8-8 oz glasses a day. However, they also provide several other methods for calculation, including the "replacement" one where you calculate how much you lose throughout the day. I prefer my ND's recommendation that I consume half my body weight in ounces. So, if I weigh 150 pounds (I wish!), I need to drink 75 ounces. Easy peasy! According to Teta and Teta, our goal in water consumption is to produce a light-colored or clear urine (2010, p. 127). However, they warn us that too much water is almost as bad as too little though - so don't OVER do it (p. 127).

I know a number of people who buy a bottle of water and then dump some flavor pack into it. Does that count toward our daily water intake? Nope. Doesn't count. According to Teta and Teta, "water means water" (p. 126). What you consume needs to be water, not sports drinks, not tea, not coffee, not soda ... but water! Some of you are probably wriggling in your seat trying to think of ways to get your daily water intake ... especially if you don't actually like water.

I don't know when I discovered a taste for sparkling water, but I'm sure glad I did. If you've never tried it, think of it as soda WITHOUT flavor or color. It's just fizzy water. Served cold, I don't think anything beats a tall glass or can of fizzy water. In fact, we no longer drink sodas in our house. I keep a stash of La Croix Sparkling Water in the fridge at all times. La Croix comes in a variety of natural flavors that are all delicious. Check ít out - http://www.lacroixwater.com/ I buy La Croix by the case at Costco, but most stores carry it. Trader Joe's also has a scrummy good sparkling water in several flavors, including plain. Sparkling water also makes a nice mixer with juices.

What's another good way to ensure that you keep your body hydrated? Buy a BPA-free water jug that holds the amount of water you need to consume in one day. Either store it in the fridge or better yet, carry it around with you. Here is a spiffy one that is reasonably priced at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Bluewave-Water-Jug-Reusable-Bottle/dp/B000GEDUDY. I have one similar to this and love it. I know that when I finish drinking the amount of water in my bottle, I've maintained hydration for the day. Remember - water isn't just for quenching thrist; we're plants!

So ... how much water have you consumed today?

No comments:

Post a Comment