Monday, April 18, 2011

Feeling the Effects

I don't know if it's because I prepared a meal tonight that was geared only toward my tastes, but I have to say that the troops are feeling a bit weak as we end our first Monday as a "fit" family. I grilled wild-caught cod that I had purchased from Trader Joe's. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and TJ's 21 Seasoning Salute. Absolute Organics brought a small head of organic green cabbage last week, so I cooked it w/a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. It was delicious. I completed the meal with organic sweet potato fries. If you've never tried them, I encourage you to do so. I prefer sweet potato fries over regular french fries most any day. All you need to do is peel a sweet potato, cut it into thin chunks, drizzle with olive oil, season, and bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes. They are scrummy good and chockful of healthy nutrients. I served strawberries and whipped cream for dessert to the delight of everyone. Personally, I thought dinner was great. However, my dining companions were none too excited. My daughter, who adores salmon, found the cod to be "bland" and she wasn't interested in the cabbage or the fries. Although my husband didn't agree with my daughter's cod assessment it doesn't mean that he enjoyed it. Not being a fish-lover ... or even a fish-liker, I have to give him brownie points for sucking up the courage to try the cod. I would have been even more pleased with this attempt if he hadn't held his nose with each bite in order to avoid the "fish" smell. Okay.

As you can tell, I am ending this day with a little bit of resentment and a desire to tell everyone in the house to take a hike! But don't worry, instead I will try to be a little more understanding of what's happening. As my husband informed me this evening, he's been hungry since Friday. He also warned me that he's weak and grumpy. Mind you, these are not unusual traits for him, but at least now there is a reasonable explanation. We will review the food plan and amp up his portion sizes and increase his snack allowance. I don't want him to be hungry because I realize that hunger is often a prelude to failure. That said, my daughter and I are doing great. Neither of us are especially hungry. Sure, I contemplated hitting up Steak 'n Shake for a half-price shake during their "Happy Hour" this afternoon. But I didn't. Instead, I came home and drank a La Croix mineral water. And you know what? It tasted delicious. Strange things are happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment