Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dinner on the Run

I realize that I am very fortunate to be able to prepare family meals nearly every night of the week. I remember how difficult it was when I taught full-time, so I truly appreciate the opportunity to have a home-cooked, unprocessed family meal most every night. I guess that's why Tuesday nights are so difficult for us. I am finishing my Master's degree and have class on Tuesday. This means that I can't do my usual sit-down family dinner. While my schedule is disruptive to our dining routine, I've tried to keep some semblance of normality by making an early dinner for my daughter, mother, and me. My husband has to come home to prepare his own meal. Sorry, dear!

The joy of making dinner for just us girls is that we get to eat foods my husband doesn't like. For instance, we're having wild-caught silver coho salmon, baked potatoes, and a salad tonight. Having lived through one fish dinner with my husband holding his nose with each forkful of fish, I am none too sad that he won't be joining us. Sadly though, fish isn't the only thing my husband won't eat. He will never say that he is a picky eater, but he is. He doesn't like beef, pork, or fish. He also isn't fond of potatoes, fruit, and a myriad of other foods that the rest of us adore. Mind you, he likes foods that we're none too fond of, too. He's very content with vegetarian burgers and roasted chickpeas. Blech! Tuesdays allow him the pleasure of consuming his favorite foods in peace. While nights like these aren't ideal in creating a family dinner routine, I certainly appreciate that they allow us freedom to eat what we like.

No comments:

Post a Comment