Sunday, April 17, 2011

Family Sunday Breakfast

One of my daughter's favorite things in the world is our big, family Sunday breakfast. Nearly every Sunday I whip up a monster feast of biscuits, bacon, sausage patties, sausage links, hash browns, eggs, and sometimes even cinnamon rolls. It's a meal that's meant to keep us going until an early dinner. My daughter loves that food is served family style with trays of everything heaped high just waiting to be passed. I didn't want to interrupt our routine too much today, but I definitely pared serving sizes way down. I made a much smaller amount of hash browns and used less oil. I also took orders for the meats and limited the amount that one could order. I did the same thing with eggs. I made biscuits from a mix today. I can't eat them because I have celiac and maintain a strict gluten-free diet. However, they received rave reviews from those who could partake. Again, serving size was limited. In all, it was pretty much the same Sunday breakfast that my family has grown accustomed to. No tears were shed, and nobody complained about the reduced portions. It was nice being able to maintain our healthy diet without anybody feeling deprived. Everyone seems to be adjusting to this new way of eating. My daughter loves the food plan which is boldly posted on the fridge door. She excitedly informed us that we're having pancakes for breakfast on Wednesday. We're all pretty much adhering to the posted plan for the most part. When one of us wants something not on the plan, we discuss the options, examine serving information, and then decide whether the alternative will fit with our goal. I'm thrilled to see everyone taking this so seriously. It reminded me that although our primary goal is to lose 20% of our body weight, the real goal of this adventure is to establish healthy eating and exercise habits. So far, I'd say we're off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment