Friday, April 15, 2011

The Kitchen is Closed

Our first day of "fit-eating" was a whole lot easier than we anticipated. My lunch consisted of a shrimp and romaine salad from Costco. I was tempted to opt for the shrimp salad covered in mayo, but I remembered that I would have to confess here, so I chose the healthier version. It's amazing what accountability ... and embarrassment can do for one's eating habits! My daughter went to a French luncheon with her homeschool pals. Although she snagged a couple of the mini-eclairs, she did turn down some delicious-looking cheesecake! My husband also fared well. He went to his favorite coffee shop and only ordered a plain iced coffee instead of his usual Chai.

Our dinner consisted of more healthy fare. I broiled some wild silver coho salmon that I had purchased from Trader Joe's. I seasoned the salmon with a little salt, pepper, and dill - no oil. I also fried some organic golden potatoes that Absolute Organics delivered last week. I diced the potatoes and pan-fried them in a little olive oil with salt, pepper, and organic garlic. I steamed some of the beautiful organic carrots that we received yesterday. I added a dash of Balade, a light butter with sea salt. Although I prefer real butter, Balade is a really nice substitute from Belgium. And yes, of course, I found it at Trader Joe's! For starters, we dined on a beautiful organic romaine salad topped with organic tomatoes and organic red onions. It was divine! We completed the meal with a dessert of organic braeburn apples and Trader Joe's caramel sauce. I know, I know - I should have just had apple slices. But let me tell you about this caramel sauce. Besides being absolutely DELICIOUS, it's also very low in calories and fat. Plus, it's not made with high fructose corn syrup! At 80 calories and 2.5 grams of fat per tablespoon, this caramel sauce is a wonderful way to quench that sweet tooth. Add the apples and you also get a helping of fiber. Overall, it was a great meal and fab way to end our first day as a "fit" family!

No comments:

Post a Comment