Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Never Give Up

As I forced myself to get out of bed this morning, totally not wanting to go on my daily walk with the pooches, I started thinking about how lucky I was to be taking these walks. You're probably a little confused by that - woman doesn't want to walk but thinks she's lucky. Huh?

I was diagnosed with severe bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees nearly two years ago. Since that time, my knees have become more and more painful. I tried medication that quelled the pain for an hour or so but not much more. The worst part was that I was extremely limited in what I could do. I was fortunate enough to be chosen as an NEH Scholar this past summer and to spend a month in Salem MA just outside Boston. I was elated! I'd never been to this part of the east coast and looked forward to exploring Boston, Maine, New Hampshire - all of it. My bubble burst on the first day when we did a walking tour of the city. I was miserable. Actually, I wish I had been miserable because what I felt was much worse. The pain and the humiliation of not being able to do what the other group members did was horrible. I had always been fairly fit and active in my youth. And now - I looked like my 80 year old mother as I attempted to make it from one block to another.

I returned home after my month-long wake-up call and immediately contacted my orthopedist. He agreed that I needed something more than oral meds. We began gel shot treatments that day. I was pleased how my knees seemed to improve each week with these shots. The final injection had been made; I was done. My orthopedist warned me that I would never be able to do what I had physically done in the past - no 5Ks, no running, no heavy exercise. I was okay with that because I could finally go on short walks and strolls at the mall. A few months passed and then it all stopped. This time, the pain was worst than before. I could hardly stand up. Seriously. It was horribly embarrassing. It took me a minute or two to get my knees stable enough to stand up. Grocery shopping was unbearable. I'd known for a while that knee replacements were in my very near future. However, I wasn't ready for that. I would have to endure several more series of gel shots and try other treatments before my insurance would pony up for new knees. I wasn't convinced that this was the route I wanted to take, but I knew that I had to do something ... and fast.

I have always been a fan of natural remedies. That said, I've also always totally sucked at taking daily vitamins and supplements. I would start out with good intentions, but I'd find that the smell or the size of the vitamins would put me off of them. I also really suck at swallowing pills, so this was another reason for my previous failures. Knowing that I had a choice of more shots and eventual surgery or choking down pills, I made the decision to see a local Naturopath in February. This was absolutely the best decision of my life. I spent well over three hours with my ND on this initial visit. Surprisingly, she didn't do a physical exam. Instead, we talked about my diet, my medical history, my exercise habits, my meds ... she covered everything! At the end of our chat, she prescribed a myriad of supplements and additional testing. I don't know if it's because I was hopeful or just unwilling to give up, but I went home ready to give this last shot my best effort.

Nearly three months later and guess what? I'm not ready to run a marathon or even a 5K, but I am no longer in constant pain. I can also take not one daily walk ... but two! Sure my knees ache after a really long stroll, but it's not the unbearable "keep you awake at night" pain of the past. And yes, my knees still sound like rocks crashing together when I stand up, but I can stand without fear or pain. Plus, the multitude of supplements I take throughout day - piece of cake! No smell, no taste, easy to swallow. I say a special thank you to this phenomenal healthcare professional every single day. I don't know if she realizes just what a change she's made in my life, but she has. I no longer feel like I'm 80 years old and ready for a wheelchair. In fact, I feel better now than I've felt in the past five years. It's amazing what being pain-free does for one's spirit. It gives you a whole new outlook on life.

I think it's important to remember that there is always hope. I've seen some pretty dark moments where I'd break down in uncontrollable tears because I couldn't do "normal" activities with my daughter. I've also been in a state of chronic pain that left little hope of relief. But somehow, I managed to see a glimmer of sunshine, a small flicker of light. So yeah, on mornings where I would much rather stay in bed, I have to transport myself back to the time not too long ago when I had no choice. That's when I hop out of bed, throw on my walking attire, grab the leashes, turn on my ipod, and hit the pavement. I'm sure I'll wake up while I'm walking!

Special thanks to my fab ND, Dr Crystal Abernathy - http://abernathynd.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment