Monday, April 25, 2011

A New Week, A New Day

So, yesterday wasn't exactly exemplary. However, I am not discouraged and am confident that we will get back on target today. This is a busy week for my family. First of all, I have a hefty project for school that is due tomorrow. I'm nearly finished with it, but I still feel the pressure to tweak and perfect it. I also begin a new week of homeschooling with my daughter. We took last week off for spring break, so I'm pretty sure that it will be slow-going the first couple of days.

We are adding a few new activities to our school routine. One is the morning walk which has pretty much become a way of life for us. It's kind of funny how I started this blog as a form of accountability. Well, the dogs are holding us to the walks. I don't care if there isn't time or if I'm too tired, I HAVE to take them on their morning and nightly walks. My Standard Poodle, Cedric, is the best fitness coach I've ever met. Seriously. I'm sure he was a trainer in a previous life. He won't leave me alone in the mornings until I've tied my sneakers and latched up Snow's harness. You should see him, too. I've never seen a dog get more excited than when he sees me reach for the leashes. He truly adores his time on the pavement. Snow does, too. We're definitely quite the sight - Standard Poodle on one side and Toy Poodle on the other.

In addition to the walks, I've built in time to head to the pool at least three times this week. I mentioned in a previous post how swimming is essentially "mental health" for me. Well, I think we all need to add some "mental health" time to our day. I'm really looking forward to it.

One thing I did to prepare for this upcoming week was set up my ipod with new music and books. I recently purchased a new laptop, and as a result, I lost a lot of the music on my ipod. So, in preparation for the numerous walks I intend to take this week, and the time I plan to spend in the pool, I have loaded my ipod with oodles of new songs. It's nice to have my old music back. In addition, I purchased a couple more books. I absolutely LOVE my audiobooks. I joined Audible nearly a year ago and have a fab collection of novels on my ipod. If you love to read but don't always have time - check out Audible at http://www.audible.com/ I listen to books when I clean, when I cook, when I do chores, when I drive ... I listen to them any chance I have. They're addictive though - so beware. I have gotten my mother hooked on them, too. She finds that she can't stop listening and often stays up all night to finish. Anyway, check them out if you're looking for a change of pace for your ipod.

So, you know how I've been attempting to get off my tush and work out a bit? Well, there was an interesting story this morning on NPR about those of us who have to sit all day at our jobs. Be sure to take a look - http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135575490/sitting-all-day-worse-for-you-than-you-might-think?sc=fb&cc=fp I don't know about you, but I'm definitely going to take a break every hour to march and disco dance (see the animated graphics in the story!) Seriously though, those of us with sedentary jobs need to take a break every hour. You run 30 minutes a day? Doesn't matter if you have a sedentary job. Read the story; you'll see.

Well folks, my morning walk is complete, and I'm ready to start the day. Instead of tacos for dinner, I will use the thawed chicken breasts to make what I should have made last night. No excuses tonight! I'm ready to have a successful and productive day. How about you? Ready. Set. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment